What arms and legs were cut off in Star Wars
If you lived a long time ago in a galaxy far far away you could be forgiven for thinking all your people did was run around cutting off each other’s arms.
It was the price for getting smart to a Jedi in a bar, the price for trying to arrest a Sith Lord and the price paid for a kid who just wanted to have some time with his busy father…
Here’s a list of all the dismembering we could remember that happened in the Star Wars films, very minor characters such as robots were not counted.
A New Hope
- Ponda Baba had his limb removed from his body by Obi Wan Kenobi in the Cantina bar after he and his friend Dr. Evazan gave Luke some less than friendly lip.
The Empire Strikes Back
- While the Wampa got the goods on Luke in the first round, when Luke left the Wampa's cave, at least he had both arms then...
- Luke loses his hand to Vader in an duel in which Vader reveals he is Luke's father. Talk about Luke having a really bad day at the Office.
Return of the Jedi
- Luke gets shot in his mechanical hand which doesn't count as losing a limb but it's a reminder of the significance - he is very like Vader.
- Everything however comes full circle when in the climatic duel aboard the Death Star when Luke is just about to fully give into The Dark Side, he cuts off Vader's hand. At which time Luke realises he is a Jedi and he has no wish to be anything but. Turning off his saber, he shows he is in control of his emotions and will not succumb to to the Dark Side. A truly awesome Star Wars moment.
The Phantom Menace
- No one had their hand cut off in this movie though Obi Wan did manage to sever Darth Maul in half....
Attack of the Clones
- Obi Wan cuts off Zam Wessell’s lower arm as she starts to attack him in a bar.
- Mace Windu chops up Jango Fett
- Count Dooku manages to cut off Anakin's arm near the end of the film. This serves as one of the the first markers for Anakin becoming Darth Vader. Of course, the massacre of the Tusken tribe was probably a bigger one...
Revenge of the Sith
- Before Anakin taps into the Dark Side of the force to kill Count Dooku, the Sith Lord in training had both hands removed from his person.
- Obi-Wan cuts two of General Grievous' hands off.
- Anakin cuts off Mace Windu’s hand to stop him from finishing off Palpatine.
- Anakin Skywalker does not have the high ground when Obi Wan remove his biological arm in a classic moment of the entire film series. Obi Wan leaves Anakin for dead, to wit the lava they were just battling over starts to burn Anakin. Queue a rescue from Palpatine but only after Anakin has used his mechanical arm to drag himself away from the flaming lava.
The Force Awakens
- Kylo Ren excutes Lor San Tekka with his saber but we do not see a limb or head being severed.
- In the novelisation, Chewbacca rips of Unkar Plutt's arm when Plutt catches up with Rey for stealing the Falcon. This did not appear in the film.
Extra for Experts: Game of Thrones fans may find this funny.