7 things you may not know about Darth Vader, the most tragic figure in Star Wars
- Darth Vader has only 12 minutes of screen time!
- Vader’s famous heaving breathing sounds were recorded by Ben Burt whilst he breathed into an aqualung.
- In the original drafts of Star Wars, Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker were definitely different people - it wasn’t until the development of the Empire treatment that the two were combined as one character. People still argue to this day that Lucas always knew Vader was Luke's father!
- During the finale of Return of the Jedi have a careful listen when Darth Vader picks up the Emperor and throws him down the Death Star shaft. This is the only occasion when you’ll hear Jedi theme music playing when Vader is on screen. This reflects his return to the light side of the Force.
- Despite his reputation for killing many people and being one of the biggest bad asses in the galaxy, Vader had the most limbs severed from his person in the film series!
- James Earl Jones was the voice of Vader but fans probably didn’t know that during the original screenings of the film as his name wasn’t included in the credits as it is today. This is apparently because he didn’t want his name to be associated with a film that he thought was going to be a flop.
- Lord Vader’s famous leitmotif theme music is known as The Imperial March and was not introduced until Empire Strikes Back.
Want more? We've got more facts about Vader here!