10 things you might not know about the Rebel Alliance
The Rebel Alliance was one of the key groups from which meany heroes sprang in the Star Wars saga.
Think Leia but also Wedge, Bail Organa and Admiral "It's a trap Ackbar".
Here's some facts about the Alliance that you might not have known.
- Mon Mothma, who made a brief appearance in Return of the Jedi was one of the original founders of the Alliance. This was of course in response to Chancellor Palpatine declaring himself Emperor.
- The Revenge of the Sith had some deleted scenes which showed Organa Bail and Mon Mothma having primary talks with Padme about building an alliance.
- In A New Hope, Leia is the leader of the Alliance, having followed in her adopted father's footsteps - the deep steps of Bail Organa.
- It has been suggested that Palpatine pushed for the Alliance to be formed himself. This Machiavellian masterstroke was that following the Clone Wars, it gave him another target to which the Empire could legitimately attack. This would assist with the Emperor as being seen to perform the functions of the Emperor - protecting his people (so to speak).
- "Rebel scum" was the popular insult that Imperialists used towards members of the Alliance.
- The symbol of the Rebel Alliance is called the "Starbird" and is sometimes described as a rising Phoenix. It was adopted in recognition of the work Galen Marek did in helping found the Alliance. It was originally the Marek family's emblem. This name should not be confused with Galen from Rogue One.
- The Alliance's logo or emblem can often be spotted in the in the movies - keep an eye out for it on many of the pilot's helmets.
- After the Alliance had learned of the Death Star's existence a military campaign commanded by Princess Leia was hatched to steal the schematics of the battle station. The operation was known as Operation Skyhook. It failed and that failure is effectively the opening scene of A New Hope. Or did it fail? This part of the story has been turned into Rogue One.
- After the Alliances evacuation from the planet Hoth, the Rebels took a more mobile approach using Admiral Ackbar's flagship, the Home One was used as their headquarters.
- The Alliance's victory over the Empire in the Battle of Endor naturally meant the end of the Empire as Palpatine was dead. In response the Alliance reformed as the New Republic and began to build towards a more democratic union of planets, not that this was an easy thing!
- In the Force Awakens, the Rebels lead by Commander Leia Organa are no longer considered rebels, they are the Resistance.
|Luke's helmet with red Starbird|
Here's a picture of a Rebel helmet: