Tales of Tatooine - cool facts and quotes about the desert planet from Star Wars
The first planet we ever laid our eyes on in Star Wars was the desert that was Tatooine.
Supposedly full of scum and villany, this was where Luke Skywalker grew up, learning to shoot womp rats.
Here's some sweet facts and the odd quote about the hunk of rock.
- The Hutts effectively rule the planet by way of being crime lords. The planet is too hard to manage by Imperial standards so it is essentially left to its own devices.
- The so called Tusken Raiders or sand people are the actual natives of Tatooine. Jawa, Hutts and Humans came after.
- While Mos Eisely is perhaps the most famous place on Tatooine, its actual capital is called Bestine. It is situated far west of Mos Eisley near the south-western Dune Sea.
- One of Stars Wars most famous quotes was uttered by Obi Wan Kenobi as he observed what lay before him and Luke:
"Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
- The filming location that served as Tatooine in A New Hope was the deserts of Tunisia. For Epiosde 7 filming was done in Abu Dabi
- Obi Wan Kenobi lived on Tatooine to key an eye on Luke Skywalker. He lived in the region known as the Jundland Wastes.
- The famous Catina where our heroes met Han Solo is actually called Chalmun's Cantina.
- Tattoine is not actually referred to by name in A New Hope. It was originally going to be called Utapau but Lucas went for Tatooine and Utapau was used in Revenge of the Sith.
- Classic quote from Jedi when Luke and Han are about to be thrown into the Sarlac's pitt:
Luke: "There's nothing to see. I used to live here, you know."
Han Solo: "You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient."
- Tatooine has scenes in every Star Wars film except The Empire Strikes Back where it was verbally mentioned.
- The Phantom Menace's famous Pod Race scene took place on Tatooine - if you paid attention you would have seen a cameo by Jabba the Hutt (from Jedi).
- Here's 20 reasons to never visit the place