Facts about Mos Eisely
Ben Kenobi famously described Mos Eisely as a hive of scum and villany where people need to be cautious. The place has become a cultural touch stone in many ways.
It's where the Stormtroopers didn't find the droids they were looking for. It's where Luke had his first drink in a bar and it's where Han shot first.
They even named a whiskey after the place in the film Young Adult.
So what's there to know about the place? Here's some facts:
- The first view of Mos Eisley in Star Wars where Obi Wan delivers his famous quote about it being a place of villany and scum, is was shot from a place called Death Valley in California from what is known as Dante's View. with a matte painting added in the distance to create the visual.
- The real-world locations for places around Mos Eisley were filmed in Tunisia
- Check out the drink dispensers from the Cantina - one of them was recycled into assassin droid IG-88.
- The name of the famous cantina is Chalmun's Cantina. A well known haunt of freighter pilots and a host of other dangerous characters it is where Han shot Greedo first and where Obi Wan cut off Ponda Baba's arm.
- The Cantina had a 'no droids' policy.
- The name of hangar where the Millennium Falcon takes off from in A New Hope is docking Bay 94.
- If you want to know more about IG-88, check out the short story in which he attempts to take over the world.
- The band that plays the famous "Cantina' music is called Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes. The bald players are known as Biths. You can hire them for weddings but I wouldn't recommend it.