Here's some sweet bits of film trivia about The Force Awakens. You'll find some detail on a very famous actor who auditioned for a role, the reassignment of costume designs and the name of a big red robot...
- When Kylo Ren takes of his mask before Rey and places it on a table, ashes rise in a smokey haze. These ashes the burnt remains of enemies that Kylo as vanquished. This is a unique insight into Ren’s character. We know he’s a collector of relicts such as Vader’s mask, so why not collect the ashes of the dead as well.
- When Finn managed to turn in the chess game on the Millenium Falcon, known more properly as a Dejarik board, it had not been played since ‘R2D2 let the Wookie win’ in A New Hope. Thus it was the same game that could have been played.
- Gary Oldman auditioned for the part of Lor San Tekka. It’s a foot note of history that Oldman turned down a role in Revenge of the Sith as General Grevious.
- While Captain Phasma’s design was at one time being considered for Kylo Ren’s look, other ideas had also been considered. He once was designed with a red oval helmet. This design was eventually used for the Guavian Death Gang that stormed Han and Chewie’s freighter (which is known as the Eravana).
The red helmets of the Death Squad
- James Bond star Daniel Craig has a blink and you'll miss him cameo as a Storm Trooper
- Given the franchise's long tradition of characters losing limbs, The Force Awakens was the first Star Wars movie where no one loses an arm. In the novelisation of the film there is a scene were Ankar Plutt arrives at Maz Kanata's castle to retrieve the stolen Millennium Falcon.
- A big deal was made of TFA going back to Star Wars' roots in terms of realistic puppets, robots and having real sets - the reality is that while there was a huge emphasis on such things, TFA Has more CG FX shots than have any other single Star Wars movie!
- If you've ever watched a Star Trek movie by JJ Abrams, you may have noticed he quite likes the Beastie Boys. And that love has had a wee influence on The Force Awakens. It turns out that the name Ello Asty is likely a play on the Beastie's work Hello Nasty.
- The name of the crashed Star Destroyer that Rey pilots the Falcon through is called the Inflictor which was scuttled onto the planet Jakku in a battle that took place one year after the events of Return of the Jedi.
- That big robot that passes by Han, Rey and Finn as they enter Maz’s Castle is called Hurid-327. During filming it was known as Big Red.
- John Boyega, who plays Stormtrooper Finn, is said to have auditioned 9 times.
- Warwick Davis, who famously played Wicket in Return of the Jedi has like his 3rd crack at a cameo in a Star Wars film. He played Woolivan in the cantina scene at Maz’s castle.
- Peter Mayhew, the beloved actor who brings Chewbacca to life has issues with his knees and would have struggled with the rigours of film Chewie's part. So the role was double teamed with fellow giant, Joonas Suotamo. The quick way to tell which actor is doing what is that if Chewbacca is sitting, it's probably Peter and if it's an action shot, it's more than likely to be Joonas.